Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, June 7th at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Share | 

Sunset memories

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Sunset memories   October 17th 2011, 6:32 pm

It's hard to know what the fate of Sunset will be now that Alex is gone. I got to thinking a lot about the place this past week and thought I start a thread about the track asking when was your first time at the track (year) and any special memories you have of the place.

My first time at Sunset was Easter Sunday in 1962. I think there were 4 of us that went up to the track and no idea where it was located. We drove on Rt. 62 towards Hermitage and someone spotted a drag car being towed the other way. We turned around and followed the car to Sunset. The traffic was backed up on the road for a long ways and I think it might have been opening day. There were bleachers on the opposite side of where they are located now and the return road was on the opposite side too. To get to the pits from the return road, you drove behind the starting line and back to the pits. This was before the cement starting line was poured and moved back. Everything was heads in those days up since there wasn't a Christmas tree but they had a starter with 2 flags. It was before the days of trans. brakes and line locks too, so there were folks positioned on both sides of the track that had rolled up sections of a inner tube with rope attached to it. Once the cars were lined up, these people would place that rolled up inner tube in front of the front tire to keep the cars from rolling forward. Then they would watch the starter and when he lifed the green flag, they'd yank the rubber out from in front of the tire, and the race was on. The place was packed that day and cars kept making passes all day long. New 409's, 413 Wedges and 406 Fords were everywhere.
The only down side to that day was an accident when a fellow blew a tire down in his chopped 33-34 Ford at the end of the track and the car rolled over. From what I can remember he passed away a few days later from his injuries.

Ok, lets hear your Sunset stories.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   October 17th 2011, 8:54 pm

my dad went past sunset in the 70's and the place was packed. I started going to sunset with my dad in april of 2006 when things were starting to get a start again. But I heard from a few friends today that some how sunset will be running next year. I will know more this weekend we I go see them. Hopefully its true so the memories can keep going!!!
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com
chevy2kid
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   October 20th 2011, 12:30 am

i was there in the late 80s when the hemi under glass and little red wagon were running little red snaped a rearend.in 93 it closed then in 2000 he was out mowing grass and me and some friends asked if we could run down the track a few times. by 2002 there were about 20 street cars there on sundays. no tree no timers. and it was free! about 2004. i got all kind of pics for them days . hope track stays open. so there can be more!
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 6th 2011, 11:08 pm

...went with my dad to sunset in the late 70's thru the 80's.. so many memories...I remember a flamed mustang called wild fire the guy always bought me fries I was really young then.don't even know what his name was...so many car names that stick in my head..happy days..pac man..falling angel...dandy dan..satans angel...bionic bird which I just seen at Pittsburgh raceway this summer..one of the biggest memories was getting pictures with autographs from the big name funny car guys...Tom Hoover..Jr. Thompson...alex will be missed and I hope sunset stays open. Alot of history at that track.....
Back to top Go down
moterhead
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 7:19 am

Hello klyons, Al Vergotz owned the WildFire mustang, and was driven for a while by Jerry Dick. Al always was a good guy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 7:25 am

Is Al the father of John & Brian Vergotz that race the Camaro in Pro Mod class now ?
Back to top Go down
moterhead
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 7:37 am

I'm not sure, I do remember that he was from Erie, and after the mustang he was involved (or owned) a corvette.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 8:06 am

Yep, that has to be him since John and Brian still live in Erie. When I first met the brothers maybe 5-6 years ago, they were racing a mid 80's style Corvette in those Street Car races. It was called Corvette Fever.
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 12:16 pm

...thanks ...you know it was only french fries but when your a kid and a "big time race car driver" takes the time to get them and talk to you...its a very big deal and still in my memories today...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 12:55 pm

Yep, those were the days a person could interact with a ''name'' driver/racer. Now, they flip you a scribbled on hero card and go back to polishing their teeth for the next TV interview.

I'm glad those memories still exsist with you. Dang...........now you have me hungry for french fries ! lol
Back to top Go down
Little Toot
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 6:29 pm

First time I went to Sunset with my dad was in 09 i think... We had a couple of wiring bugs and didn't race the full day, but we got to meet all of our friends and had a good time camping there

klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 8:34 pm

...lol...nothing better than dragstrip fries....
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   December 7th 2011, 8:42 pm

...I also forgot about mr. Smooth the lil red coupe he had it down at world of wheels last year..talked to him a bit about watching him at sunset as a kid and he still races it...that has to be some kind of record for racing the same car for 35-40? Years
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   January 16th 2012, 8:46 pm

....I forgot to mention my biggest memory of sunset not sure who the announcer was when I was growing up but i'll never forget...."LIGHTS COMIN DOWN "....
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   January 19th 2012, 10:45 pm

...not sure how to post a link but just happened across it on you tube..if you search jerry dick wildfire mustang there is some guy from Colorado who has the car says hr bought it of jerry dick in 99 it looks the same minus lettering and flames..that that was pretty awsome!!!

Last edited by Toot on January 19th 2012, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   January 23rd 2012, 9:43 pm

yes this is the same car, it went to colorado. I am a friend of jerry's. my father and i went racing with this car all over the eastern seaboard in the 80's. jerry won the gatornationals with this car in 1982 and held many ihra and nhra records. the car had an original 392 miles on it and seen nothing but dragstrip from 1968 on. I am sure motorhead has some memories of his own!!!
Back to top Go down
klyons

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   January 28th 2012, 4:20 pm

That's awesome...and thanks for the link toot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunset memories   

Back to top Go down

Sunset memories
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club :: Lounge-