Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, Dec. 7th at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Share | 

8.90 Thompson race

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 4:22 pm

We're going to have to nickname you Capt. Hook. You can't ask for a better leave than that Don.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 4:28 pm

It'd be better if it was under 1.36 60', but I gotta start somewhere...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 4:32 pm

Well, when you get down around the 1.04 mark, let me know and we'll line up the Cobalt in the other lane. lol

The motor is coming apart down at Sonny's today or tomorrow and we should know what direction to take. Lots of different scenarios in the mix right now. Rockingham is out, but we're still trying to make the Norwalk event later this month.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 8:32 pm

I don't think I wanna go anywhere near 1.04 without wheelie bars...the pic above is just about perfect like you said. If it could leave like that with a mid 1.2__ 60' I'd be happy. I don't wanna stand it on the bumper. Gotta remember I don't have much seat time like some of these old timers. One scare for the year was enough....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 8:47 pm

From the one run I did see in the first round, it left good and the wheel speed appeared to be there.
You think that one scare was enough, wait till the 18th ! j/k
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 1st 2010, 9:58 pm

I won't read that line to her, haha!! Al (blaze) at Thompson with the teal chevelle said that he'd ask if Jim Curtis would have a moment of silence for me on the 18th, haha!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm

Here's another shot from a different angle of the same run as above.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 3rd 2010, 8:46 am

Lil John takes some nice pic's...Lil Z can you see if John has any pic's of the malibu?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 3rd 2010, 3:55 pm

Here's one that Danni took. I'll check with Johnboy, but I won't hear back until next week probably!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 3rd 2010, 7:47 pm

Pineapple puts a wooopin on that Ford. yeah Baby!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 3rd 2010, 8:27 pm

Now you said the "ford" word Mr. Z... Cussing in public again??LOL Just messin with ya...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 3rd 2010, 8:58 pm

Little Z28 wrote:
Here's one that Danni took. I'll check with Johnboy, but I won't hear back until next week probably!

Thanks Danni for the nice pic...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 14th 2010, 8:25 pm

who knows what the new 10.??? class is going to be next year. that otta be real interesting, lots of cars can run in the 10.???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 14th 2010, 9:16 pm

Right now they are looking at 10.50, theres a test race this Saturday. They feel that if a 9.90-10.00 were to be picked it might encourage a few slower cars to drop out of 8.90 so the 10.50 was chosen. This way some guys running 11.00 might step it up with spray an race the 10.50 index an the guys running 10.00 could slow down a bit an both classes could flourish instead of tugging at one another for cars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 14th 2010, 10:04 pm

b slow might have to spend some money this winter, if you know what I mean!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 14th 2010, 10:32 pm

Like Dad said, for now I think the number is 10.50. However, they keep side stepping and changing their minds on the rules for 8.90 next year. Rumors of tire size requirements, interior components, hood scoops, wheelie bars, etc. The more they talk about it all, the more I lose interest.

I hope that the x275 and outlaw 275 radial classes that are booming right on the east coast (cecil, englishtown, m.i.r., georgia motorsports park, orlando, etc) makes it over this way. I'd build another car to fit all their rules and run that program over here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 14th 2010, 11:22 pm

The 8.90 class seems to have good turnouts...I wonder why they want to change it???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 15th 2010, 5:31 am

I was listening to the radio program that Tom Lang does and he was saying someone with a tube chassied car that drives it on the street feels he should be able to run the 8.90 class. I guess Tom Cowle said they'd let him run at this final race and see what the other racers think. Since this is the first season of this style of racing, some rules "tweaking" maybe needs to be done. But IMHO I think a full tube chassis car, even though it's street driven, will take away from the original concept of why the class was formed.

Update ! You know, I was looking at their own rules and it says no full round tube or square chassis cars. And another one of the rules says stock front suspension. Now I'm corn-fused ! And no, I didn't misspell confused.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 15th 2010, 8:23 pm

Hard to tell what's going on anymore. Our cars have factory front frame rails, front suspensions that bolt into the stock locations and stock geometry, so we're good to go. The whole "street" car debate will go on forever, especially on the OH, PA border. What they can register for the road in OH is not easily registered in PA with our laws.

All I can say is it's gonna be tough to maintain a street looking 8.90 class in any area. Most cars with no decals on them are way slower, or way faster like Outlaw Radial, Outlaw 10.5, or true 10.5. Most cars that I know of that run in that area are box cars, decaled cars, dragsters, altereds, or full chassis cars.

I hope they're really careful with their rules if they want this class to live on. Two much side stepping and debate will kill it. I know I hate opening the post on yellowbullet because every day it changes.

The same thing has happened with Bill Bader at Norwalk in his 8.90 deal. It started okay, 14 or 18 cars a week, then people complained about rules, they added some more, and before you know it, they play hell trying to get 8 cars to show up on their Friday Night Chaos deals. Half of them are at Thompson now in the 8.90 deal there, but will move on if the tables begin to turn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 16th 2010, 6:23 am

Folks always want to push any type of rules they're put under and want to tweak them to suit their individual interests and gains. I think the key is to establish a good set of rules at the beginning, such as Tom and Paul have done, and stick with them. Let the cars be built to the rules and keep special interest cars out. Nothing pisses a racer off more than half way through a build in the middle of winter to find out there have been major changes made in the rule structure. The rules for the Renegade Outlaw cars are simple to follow and you don't need a Philadelphia lawyer to interpret them. And yes it's going to piss off a few folks that think their cars fall under the street car catagory since the name Street is a gray area as far as these type of cars are concerned. I wish Tom and Paul all the luck in keeping this movement going. I know if I had the financial means I'd be building a car to run with them.

Last edited by Andamo on September 16th 2010, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   September 16th 2010, 6:16 pm

Tween us I don't think there will much change at all, just some discussion about it. These guys behind the Renegade Race know it will hurt the class.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8.90 Thompson race   

Back to top Go down

8.90 Thompson race
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club :: Racing-
Jump to: