Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, July 6th, at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Share | 

New organization

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New organization   December 11th 2010, 9:00 pm

I just wanted to let you folks know of a new series that is being put together by Greg Miller. Greg was the track manager at PRP and is now helping Norm Fox at Quaker City Motorsports Park. Greg is looking to start a Outlaw Pro Mod group that'll be based out of Quaker City. Since he's getting a late start with the organization, we'll probably only have 5-6 races in 2011. But he's planning on bigger things down the road with the group though. We're having a meeting with the racers from Ohio and western PA in early January to solidify this series. We'd all like to see it morph into what Norwalk had with the Friday Night Chaos series..........but without the BS some of you were exposed to. Greg would like to see the Doorslammers and possibly the Open Dragster cars as the prime attractions but with the other classes racing too. I'll try and keep you guys informed as to what is going on after the meeting.
If any of you are reading between the lines, you should be able to see I'm torqued because of this. First off, Quaker is my fav track and secondly, Outlaw Pro Mod racing is what I love to see and hear. To have Quaker City return to it's glory days of the past is what I'd love to see. Poor Dick Mossey had a vision back in 1957 of a place for folks to race and have fun. Since 1999 I'm sure Dick has been spinning in his grave over the way the track was run. I don't know Norm Fox personally but I feel he'll return Quaker to the track Dick envisioned and with Greg's input, things look good.
Sorry about being so melancholy about this, but I'm just so happy Quaker will remain a drag strip with a good owner.

If any of you would like me to convey anything about the series, or potential groups racing with us, please let me know and I'll pass them along to Greg. Now don't expect to get all your wishes this first year, but be patient and we'll see how this all works out. This can be a tremendous asset to us in the eastern Ohio/westen Pa area.

Thanks for listening.

Dan
Black Diamond Motorsports GXP

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 11th 2010, 10:07 pm

I'd say 3/4 of the Pro Mods going to Norwalk were from Eastern Ohio an W Pa. I think Quaker City will do well with this idea if the prep work is done on the track. They must offer decent traction for these guys or they won't come. I watched the Door Wars races there a few years ago an traction was marginal, Ole Dan musta thought they all had suspension problems cause he cut the glue with WD 40 an the track was hookin..
More HeadsUp racing in the area is great news for sure.
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 11th 2010, 11:28 pm

Thanks Dan
I will be going to Quaker this this year 10 mile drive for me. It was a shame I would rather drive to a track a hour or more away opposed to setting in the staging lanes an hour waiting for a time trail.
Toot™
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 7:34 am

The Door Wars series actually started at Quaker City back in '05 or '06. The first year traction was good and then something happened and Carl and John had enough and moved on. I really think that when the surface is ground down and the glue is applied the correct way, all the cars will benefit.
PRP was ground down maybe 2 years ago and it made a huge difference. If Andy Jensen can go a 3.95 @ 195, the track has teeth. Plus, Quaker has the advantage of a even longer cement surface before the asphalt.
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 8:52 am

We need talk to someone at one of these tracks and make sure only cars with Quarter Eight Drag Race stickers Win!!! LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 10:08 am

This is definitely good news like dad said, any heads up racing in the area is good. It'd be nice to see Promod to start and some others follow. My only advice to them is, if you want a certain class to show up, keep your rules the same as other folks withing a 5 hour drive. They will come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 12:31 pm

Hopefully new promoters have learned from the mistakes of the past and will listen to the majority of racers and not just a select few. The Ohio, Michigan and PA areas can draw a bunch of cars to these heads-up events. And if the rules stay the same from year to year, you'll have folks building class specific cars and others converting to the rules. There's nothing worse than having doubt and inconsistancy with the rules.
There seems to be a big movement to heads-up racing and if a promoter can offer the racers, and spectators, good racing, you're right Don, they will come and support you. But all have to take into consideration that the track owner is a business man and needs to make a profit too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 3:43 pm

Andamo wrote:
But all have to take into consideration that the track owner is a business man and needs to make a profit too.

Well, like you and I talked at the Christmas party regarding Norwalk, alot of heads up racers forget this little detail. Not all areas have as many heads up cars as others. For instance, the ADRL has an entire tour devoted to heads up racing with 4 or 5 classes, hundreds of cars, and free admission for spectators. Norwalks chaos had 50 cars, no spectators, and too many rule changes to be predictable for new entries. If there are hundreds of bracket racers willing to enter a facility for a $1000 purse, or 10 heads up guys wanting a $5000 payout, the track makes more off the bracket racers. Like you said, they're a business too, and will cater to bracket racers.

That's not a problem if they treat the bracket guys well. From what I've seen there is the potential to get alot of fans re-interested in a heads up racing program. Word needs to spread though. Its no secret that a heads up class will bring fewer cars to the table, so the fan base needs to be large to offset it for the tracks profits. Bracket races may draw hundreds of racers and five fans, it's just the nature of the beast.

I hope that Quaker is run efficiently, safely, and in an honorable manner. The new guy seems to have his head on straight so far. All we can do is give him a few chances and see what happens. Time will tell, and like everything else in life, natural selection will decide who stays and who goes as far as tracks is concerned. I wish the folks at Quaker good luck and will head that way this summer if the surface will hold an 8 second car.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 3:50 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com
Toot
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 3:54 pm

" free admission for spectators"

I bet the concession would make a killing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 3:56 pm

Toot wrote:
" free admission for spectators"

I bet the concession would make a killing!

I believe this is the motivation behind the ADRL's past history with free admission. If they let everyone in free, then they may buy food, t-shirts or other things the track has for sale.

Milan has a deal on their heads up friday night races where women get in free also. It's a nice gesture in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 4:07 pm

I am not trying to sound stupid but what is ADRL?
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 4:25 pm

American Drag Racing League. Home of the heavy hitters. Google is your friend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 5:26 pm

I remember going to Quakers Door Wars a few times an you couldn't get near the fence there were so many spectators, unlike Norwalk that can't seem to get anyone to watch. The fan base for HeadsUp racing is definatly strong in the Y-Town area, even Thompson has a good crowd on Asphalt Wars night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 12th 2010, 8:01 pm

Earlier this year I was talking on the phone with Tom Cowle who is one of the principal's behind the Renegade Warriors series. We had raced there the Saturday before and it was the first I had heard and seen this 8.90 class. Tom asked me if I noticed where the folks that wonder around the pits congregated when the cars were in the lanes. I said that I hadn't and he said they flocked around the 8.90 cars and not the Asphalt Wars and O/D cars. I had to take his word yet I believed him. The one time I went up just to watch the racing, I did notice he was right. Folks can associate more with those type of cars because they're very similar to the ones they drive back and forth to work, school, etc. And from sitting in the stands and watching the ''bleacher creatures'' I could see and hear more response from them when the Warrior cars raced.
Back to top Go down
2fast4umalibu

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 15th 2010, 6:45 pm

Andamo wrote:
I just wanted to let you folks know of a new series that is being put together by Greg Miller. Greg was the track manager at PRP and is now helping Norm Fox at Quaker City Motorsports Park. Greg is looking to start a Outlaw Pro Mod group that'll be based out of Quaker City. Since he's getting a late start with the organization, we'll probably only have 5-6 races in 2011. But he's planning on bigger things down the road with the group though. We're having a meeting with the racers from Ohio and western PA in early January to solidify this series. We'd all like to see it morph into what Norwalk had with the Friday Night Chaos series..........but without the BS some of you were exposed to. Greg would like to see the Doorslammers and possibly the Open Dragster cars as the prime attractions but with the other classes racing too. I'll try and keep you guys informed as to what is going on after the meeting.
If any of you are reading between the lines, you should be able to see I'm torqued because of this. First off, Quaker is my fav track and secondly, Outlaw Pro Mod racing is what I love to see and hear. To have Quaker City return to it's glory days of the past is what I'd love to see. Poor Dick Mossey had a vision back in 1957 of a place for folks to race and have fun. Since 1999 I'm sure Dick has been spinning in his grave over the way the track was run. I don't know Norm Fox personally but I feel he'll return Quaker to the track Dick envisioned and with Greg's input, things look good.
Sorry about being so melancholy about this, but I'm just so happy Quaker will remain a drag strip with a good owner.

If any of you would like me to convey anything about the series, or potential groups racing with us, please let me know and I'll pass them along to Greg. Now don't expect to get all your wishes this first year, but be patient and we'll see how this all works out. This can be a tremendous asset to us in the eastern Ohio/westen Pa area.

Thanks for listening.

Dan
Black Diamond Motorsports GXP

x2 could not agree with you more.the down hill decline of that track since swindell(swindler)owned it has been very depressing.i like you am excited for the things to come even if it takes a little while for it to get there.you guys might think about running the reregade racing ass. witch is heads up also in conjunction with the promod make it exciting again!whether your racing or spectating.getting tired of the dail in side of racing.(not that there is anything wrong with it)its just boring to me any more,IMA thanx

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New organization   December 15th 2010, 7:02 pm

Just to keep things in perspective, since it's actually a late start for planning a new series, this first season (2011) might be on the short side as far as events. The guys that ran the O/D class at Norwalk are without a place to race also and they just found out that Indy is going to have a open dragster class in 2011. The only point is, and this baffles the heck out of me, the cars ( dragsters, funny cars and altereds) must use 10.5 tires ! Have you ever heard of a more ridiculous rule ?
Hopefully these guys can run this year also with the Outlaw Pro Mod cars naturally in their own class and their choice of tire size. I've been trying to get in contact with Scott Koffel, who was the co-sponsor at Norwalk, but haven't had any luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New organization   

Back to top Go down

New organization
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club :: Racing-
Jump to: