Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, July 6th, at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Share | 

Safety opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 6:59 am

I posted on the new Quaker message board a thread about a safety concern. Many times I've seen a car not off the racing surface, or on fire, way downtrack and the starter sends another pair of cars not knowing of the problems. Do you think tracks should have a downtrack worker that's in communication with the starting line so problems like I mentioned, plus oil on the track and sometimes rain, can be relayed to the starting line. I know Thompson has the ambulance downtrack and can see things happening, but are they in contact with the starting line ?
If you've ever watched a ADRL race or attended one, you see track workers walking across the track after every pass. I realize our local tracks can't do something this extreme, but I'd like to see a downtrack worker. It would be the most boring job and maybe it can be rotated out with another worker. The starter or someone in the timing tower can't see oil or rain on the track surface like this person could.
Tell me what you think. This is just a general question and not something that we can demand a track should implement. But the more folks think about their own safety, the better off we'll all be.
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 11:26 am

Every Time I ran at Quaker the ambulance was parked at the first turn off in the shut down area don't know if they had radio contact with the tower or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 11:31 am

Tim, that's how I always remembered Quaker having the ambulance down track. I wasn't at Quaker this past season, but one of the racers there said they still do that. That's good to hear.
Now if they get folks like Ben Wilson from tossing his nitrous bottle and hitting the ambulance, like what happened this season at Thompson, things should be good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 12:13 pm

I like the ambulance at Lucky land in Erie....I'll try to post pics tonight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 12:43 pm

If it's the one I think it is, that thing should be in the Smithsonian. It probably has the original hack saw to perfom amputations !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 2:43 pm

Little Z28 wrote:
I like the ambulance at Lucky land in Erie....I'll try to post pics tonight.
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 6:21 pm

This thing right here....state of the art right here...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 6:32 pm

That's not the one I was thinking about. The one I remembered was a old Cadillac.
Now that one was state of the ark !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 7:11 pm

Andamo wrote:
That's not the one I was thinking about. The one I remembered was a old Cadillac.
Now that one was state of the ark !

It's gotta be around somewhere then, it's not like Lucky to throw stuff away. Back on topic, there is alot that can be done for safety at all tracks in the area. People on the big end with radios to the starters or tower would be a great step up. I'd like to see some more fire-fighting equipment on hand at some events. The 10 lb extinguisher on the starting line does nothing for the guy who hits the wall beyond the 1/8 mile and catches fire.

I'd also like to see some folks step up and be responsible for themselves and others around them by taking appropriate actions in their own rides. Sunset is a great example of this. I don't care if you're running 10 seconds in the 1/8 mile, put a helmet on your head, there are cars there capable of wrecking your world if they get into you. People helmetless in caged cars, suicide in my opinion. Fire extinguishers, safety neutral switches, steel fuel lines, battery cutoffs, rollbars, padding, fire jacket or suit, good seat belts. How about some jackstands under a car instead of pulling onto the trailer ramps to crawl under and work on the tranny? Makes me half afraid to watch this stuff in fear I'll witness someone getting killed.

Lots of people skimp on transmission shields and such because of money or space. If you've ever seen photos of a car with a blown drum, no way in hell would you skimp on these items. Scares me and I got all the stuff....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 8:20 pm

Nat'l Trail's Nitrous race has 2 guys at the turn off with radios an 4 wheeler, they are called to check cars for leaks that they noticed after a car leaves the starting line an help get people off the track. Milan has an ambulance with radio contact at the turn off too an one on the starting line. I'd bet Thompsons ambulance has radio's too, they just don't help with normal maintinance stuff so ya think they just sit there. ost of the time its the crew at the end of the track thats the first responders an are the most important to the racer in an emergency, its the last half of the track where the most speed is an the worst fires an wrecks. The ones that stay near the starting line always seem slower to respond prolly because of more distractions at the starting line, the finish line crew seem more focused on the race at hand instead of other things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 8:29 pm

That's good to hear than at least some tracks are watching out for the racers.
As far as Sunset.......Sunset will always be Sunset until someone gets hurt, or worse, and that'll be the end of that place. What always puzzled me was, I thought that Alex is/was a lawyer and you'd think he'd cover his butt with both hands as far as the operation of the track.
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   December 21st 2010, 9:48 pm

You know it would,nt hurt for us to carry extra safety stuff with us when we go to the track ourselves all joking aside Rocky is a retired naval medic and I have training from all the years in law enforcement we.re not affraid to look after someone and I,m sure there are others in the club with similar experience I have a firm belief that if you have everything you need for a bad situation you won,t need it but just when you don,t have it bingo. As far as bad things happening at the track if it has to happen make it DW 42 they have their own crash wagon and they are fast to use it.We saw a car hit the wall there a couple of years ago and it wasn,t 60 seconds and they were responding with the crash truck. And it has all the equipment you would expect to see on a crash truck!!! Also When Mike wrecked his car at Thompson them guy,s did a good job of course when someone is hurt nobody seems to move real fast but it takes a while to get a copter in the air and they got it done so there are tracks out there that try but some tracks are just plain scary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safety opinion   

Back to top Go down

Safety opinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club :: Racing-
Jump to: